Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Profound Insanity

Ya..Whatever !

Friday, September 01, 2006

We love you Andre !


1992 was the year when I was at my rebellious best. Everything that was offbeat appealed to me.I used to oppose and protest against any kind of authority and viewed it as tyranny and dictatorship.Even the softest rebuke used to send me into rages of anger.I guess that is, what is called as adolescence !

During this time,there was similar 'rebel' in the tennis world. Andre Agassi.He just broke into the tennis world with his first grand slam victory.For me, he was not only a great player but a player with an attitude, with a big A. With his long hair and ear-ring, we was not just a sports star..he was a kind of stlye icon :-) . We girls used to drool over him in the SportsStar and SportsWorld magazines.Pray that he would be the center spread in the next issue.

At that time in India, teenagers were supposed to be aping and falling prey to the western culture...For me he represented everything 'western' ! Whenever a tournament was telecasted on TV, mostly it was good old DD then, my mom would be vexed about missing her saturday/sunday evening movie. But for me, I would await , all stars in my eyes, for matches played by Agassi.I dont think I knew much of the technical knowledge about Tennnis, but watching him play was eye candy. I used to brood when he lost and was extra joyous when he won, much to the amusement of my dad and uncles.Well they followed tennis the way it is supposed to be, I mean not judging players by their looks and attitudes ..etc...:-)

I have come a long way since then, my devotion to the rebellious nature has matured...I have grown to appreciate the subtleties of life.
But when ever I see you today, even with your bald head and the mature years behind you...you remind me of my myself..back then when life was ..well..different!

From that day in 1992 at Wimbeldon, when you won a five setter against Goran Ivanisevic...
Till yesterday at New York,when you won a five setter against Marcos Baghdatis...

There has never been anybody like you..there will never be...We love you Andre, We will miss you !

5 Comments:

Blogger Mrudula Sreekanth said...

S must be feeling so jealous of Andre. :P

Saturday, September 02, 2006 5:53:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

he he he..yeah true.He keeps saying "Pete Sampras was the best anyways"..just to cover up his jealousy ..:-)

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

neither. steffi was, is, and will remain the best.

- s.b.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger pavan kumar said...

[s.b.] amen!

Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:01:00 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

s.b , pavan : thanks for stopping by! agree..steffi is the best by choosing andre as her husband...:-)

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home