Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Profound Insanity

Ya..Whatever !

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Books - Movies

There have been Mixed reviews from the British Press - The Mistress of Spices . I am happy.

I read two books by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, Mistress of Spices and Sister of My Heart. I read these books almost 4 years ago, when I was in India. I found 'Sister of My Heart' an interesting and a easy read. On the other hand Mistress of Spices, was intruging and engaging with various short stories interwoven into the main story of Tilo.

Now why do I feel happy that Ash's Mistress bombs in the UK. Even though I did not see the movie, I can say that Ash was a wrong choice of the role of Tilo. Tilo,as depicted in the book is an very intense and passionate woman. I feel Miss Ash's acting capabilities do not even fulfill even these basic crieteria. Her physical self can make or sell a million dollars,but when it comes to acting abilities..she can never perform unless supported by a very good film maker.How come I can't think of any good, sensible film other than Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam and Devdas , where her, performance was appreciated. Hope the failing of this movie, would make other film makers who aspire to make movies out of successful books to really make an effort and choose the right actors.I feel Ash was choosen because of the Bride and Prejudice connection.I have not seen 'Mistress of Spices' but I can visualize how bad the movie would be, after reading all those reviews.

I personally have much higher regard for books than movies. The only movie which I really liked which was based on a book was 'To Kill a Mocking Bird'.

One of my favourite books, Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake , is also being made to be movie. But this time by a very sensible film maker- Mira Nair and a brilliant actress, Tabu.Hope the movie turns out to be as good as the book was..!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Mrudula Sreekanth said...

I have not read the book, nor have I seen the movie but I agree with what you have said regarding having higher regard for books in general as compared to the movies. In most of the cases, the movies are very bad compared to the books.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:37:00 PM  
Blogger pavan kumar said...

Till now, the saying was "Don't judge the book by its cover" .. but now it becomes "Don't judge the book by its movie"

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 8:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

hardu : the other way of looking at it is... that after reading the book and having liked it, you have too many expectations set on the movie...which well goes for a toss !!

pavan : very true :)

Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Mrudula Sreekanth said...

It been such a long time. When is the next post coming up? :)

Monday, May 22, 2006 2:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home